Monday, August 11, 2014

The Sea and Me (and a bunch of Lowcountry pics!)

What can I say as I reflect on our vacation at the sea?


What do I remember, as I shake sand from my bags and rinse shells on the patio, trying desperately to hold onto days that become hours until summer vacation is over and the return to work and school commences?


I will remember this, most of all, I believe...this is the summer when he was between childhood and the coming preteen/teen years, when he was still not yet too cool to reach for my hand on our long morning beach walks...


I will remember beach bouquets,brilliantly colored butterflies and funny-faced crabs...




I will remember storms at dawn and the moon at night and a hallway that was always full of flip flops...




I will remember that this is not the summer vacation I had originally hoped for, no. I'd been planning to go abroad when work and school responsibilities took 7 weeks of our 9 week vacation and I had to let go of one dream in order to pursue another. I will also remember that this is the year we saw two rehabilitated sea turtles released back into the ocean...



There is a majesty in seeing something so noble as this. A feeling that I can't put into words.

And there is a majesty in having a place, a special place vacation place to call our own, where we make memories and moments and magic. Though I was raised in the SC Upstate, I feel homesick at the sight of lighthouses and piers and harbors. From somewhere deep within me, I remember these images, and they stir a sense of, or need for, adventure...




I've crossed the sea by plane, but my soul remembers crossing it by sea. Or perhaps it's just my dreamy romantic writer's nature rising up again, like the waves. It gets me into so many messes, this side of me that wants so badly to believe...here, on this island, with the sea at my feet, it seems all and anything could be possible. No limits. 

One morning we swim mere feet from a school of dolphins and marvel at the wonders held by the sea. The next morning,  a jellyfish wraps itself around my ankle and reminds me that what brings us joy one day can deliver debilitating pain the next.


Still, I return to the sea, because the joy is worth it. Pain heals, and my child is watching. If I stay out of the water, if I keep a safe distance, he will do the same. I don't walk back in, I run. Hobbling a bit, maybe, but still, I get there...


Okay, enough of my pontificating and ruminating....The Isle of Palms has become the place where our family vacation memories are made. I discovered it on a 2012 trip to visit  The Angel Oak Tree on nearby John's Island. I was so taken with the views as I drove through the town that I paid a king's ransom to spend the night there at a beachfront hotel. I don't regret that at all, but I am very grateful that a friend turned me on to Island Realty Sea Cabins (the cabins sleep six but the company handles home rentals as well!) If you are interested in visiting the SC Lowcountry, I highly recommend IOP and the surrounding area, which includes historic Charleston, SC. 

We visited the SC Aquarium, where my son relinquished his 5 year bottle cap collection for some awesome natural objects!


We also toured Fort Sumter and Patriot's Point for a tour of the USS Yorktown. That was such an amazing experience!



This was so powerful, to me. Voices from so long ago...


I could write so much more about this vacation, but I'll only say be sure when you come to IOP to visit The Seabiscuit Cafe for yummy breakfast and lunch and also to take in the awesome mermaid decor!


Cafe Medley on nearby Sullivan's Island is a great place for gourmet coffee and ice cream (they had lemongrass basil when we were there!) Poe's Tavern is a must-visit spot for sure, as well as Fort Moultrie!



Now it's time for me to get back to resting up as I prepare for our next adventure, returning to work and school! I have so many more photos to share so don't be surprised if I sneak a few into posts in the next few weeks! And if you can, visit The Isle of Palms and the SC Lowcountry. It's a magical place you won't forget!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love all the photos and yes it is a magical place that stays in your heart. I especially like the photo of eric standing in the ocean with the storm clouds overhead